How to approach the Supreme Court of India ?

This write up shall help explain all you need to know on approaching the Supreme Court. 

We all know Supreme Court is the highest court of the land, and normally the court of last resort, the final court of appeal.

Supreme Court hears appeals against the decisions of High Courts in its appellate jurisdiction. Under Article 136 of the constitution It can also hear grievances as to any order by any court or tribunal in the country if the same is tainted by illegality. Since this is an exceptional power – the court normally refrains from interfering unless other equally efficacious remedies like approaching the high court have been exhausted, and while entertaining an SLP (Special Leave Petition) the court won’t sit as a regular court of appeal and won’t go into questions of fact, but only inferences to be drawn of existing material and evidences.

Hence we can see that jurisdiction of SC is primarily appellate. But that does not mean it has no original jurisdiction, it has original jurisdiction in disputes between states. Citizens can also approach the SC even directly in cases where fundamental rights are violated under Article 32 of the constitution. (Also called extraordinary writ jurisdiction).

 The court has over the years relaxed strict rules of technicality while dealing with Public Interest Litigations. And even a letter or email can get the court to initiate enquiry into alleged violation of fundamental/human rights.

The SC also exercises jurisdiction in inter-state transfers of criminal/civil matters

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Comments (



  1. govind solanki

    Sir hear a exucution in which lead with o21/r16 application because orignaly decree pass infavour of other. Now that called compromise decree dt 24/2/70. Party filled 2 execution one is under o21r16 in behalf of compromice decree dt 24/2/70 and second execution is lead for whole property.
    Now land took in execution of whole property
    Now party want to take another land vaya o21r16.
    Question of law is once a warrant possesen isue and took land then again warrant of posesion never be issue.

    So sir i need to file slp
    So please help
    I m belongs to poor family.
    Cant afferd high cost
    Second it Important to admit.
    Never dismis without fully knowledge
    Because this is very old execution


  2. A Medical aspirant

    Sir I request you to remain fixed with your decision to conduct only 1 test i.e NEET 2016 all over India for all students to reduce unfair practices and support fair selection process in MBBS AND BDS.Many corrupt people are imposing problem in your way and many corrupt people have booked MBBS seats by paying lakhs and crores of rupees in different MBBS colleges scraping away seats of deserving students Hence I request you to continue Neet II 2016 and reduce such malpractices in India and make India disease free.

    Liked by 1 person

%d bloggers like this: